Mini Vinnies at St. Columba’s
‘Mini Vinnies’ is a St Vincent de Paul Group in a Primary School. It is a group of young people aged 7-11 who get together, organise and talk about helping others in need within their school community and beyond. What makes Mini Vinnies such a valuable experience for the children who are part of it, is the change it makes in school communities. Mini Vinnies’ groups usually meet once a week or fortnight during lunchtime or after school and are either run by school staff members, an SVP Conference Member or a combination of both.
What happens at a Mini Vinnies’ meeting?
A ‘President’ is elected by the Mini Vinnies to lead the meeting and organise the group. An adult will co-ordinate the group and give help and practical advice. Meetings should be as brief as possible.
- The President opens the meeting with a prayer.
- A short spiritual reading/reflection/piece of music/meditation follows. The Group members could take turns to do this.
- Group members then talk about the Mini Vinnies’ activities they have done since the previous meeting.
- Any future plans are then discussed.
- The President concludes the meeting with a prayer.
For more information on Mini Vinnies, please feel free to visit their website here